romper: thrifted
cozy cardigan (I’ve been living in this): courtesy of LuLu*s (get 15% off your order with code KEIKO)
Coach bag – courtesy of Coach
Seychelles Hawk wedges – courtesy of Seychelles
tights – we love colors

I had the utmost scare a dog lover could imagine: Miku ran into traffic and almost got hit. I’m shaking just typing this, even though it was two days ago. Bobby and I were taking her to the dog park near the bridge, and while he retrieved the car from the opposite side of a busy avenue, Miku and I waited. I was chatting with a girl about Miku; she told me she had a dog just like her and wanted to know if I would breed her (she is spayed – spay/neuter your pets!). As we were talking, Miku got frantic with worry over Bobby’s absence. When we’re not home and one of us makes an exit, she gets really upset and anxious. Her gentle leader started to slip up as I held her back, so I stooped down (with two bags and a drink in my hand) to fix it. She took that opportunity to quickly wriggle out and went darting straight for traffic, heading toward Bobby.

I  ran straight after her, screaming and flailing my hands for cars to slow down. Though they would have had time to slow, not a single one even tried. Both Miku and myself were nearly hit not once, but at least three times. I don’t know if I would have been able to save her if it wasn’t for the girl I was talking to, who bravely and selflessly helped me corral her. Thankfully, she was a little more level-headed than me and didn’t risk getting hit, but still…I can’t even begin to thank her enough. When I got Miku and brought her back to the sidewalk, she was trembling. I was shaking like crazy and a hysterical mess. I couldn’t manage to get anything more than a sincere “Thank you” out, but I am forever grateful for the girl who helped me save my little pup. Miku is my life. My animals mean the world to me and Miku is my heart. I’m crying just thinking about this, how I could have prevented it if I had her collar on tighter, how she came so close to being run over.

Bobby and I carried her the rest of the day, save for when we were near the water on the secure promenade and in the actual dog park. Even in the park (which has double gates to prevent escape), I was a wreck. When she even went near the fence, I called her over to me. She was over it the second we were in the park with other dogs, but I’m still a nervous wreck. We went and got her a harness, and I’ll now be walking her with both the harness AND a gentle leader, because I’m crazy. Two leashes until the harness proves its worth (I got a sturdy one).

It’s that fluffy hair. It makes the collar seem so much tighter than it actually is; she’s really quite small, save for the hair.

I’m forever grateful that I’m able to report with a happy ending. I’m also pleased to know that I will, without a doubt, risk my own life to save my dog’s. That’s love. I know she’d do the same.

p.s. I did post a craigslist missed connections to thank the girl, since some of you asked:)p.p.s. I don’t know if you noticed, but I have a partial black eye (my right) from my cat. I was holding Lacy and Bobby sneezed, which freaked her out. She accidentally clawed my eyelid, near my tear duct (hurts like a mother) and near the other eye. She left my right eye looking like I got punched!

1. Natalya's Closet says: October 22, 201011:04 pm

I love the outfit, and the purse! Your dog is adorable!! XOXO, Natalya of Natalya's Closet

2. amber says: October 22, 201011:10 pm

I'm so glad Miku is okay!! As a fellow animal lover and pet owner, I know how scary those things can be.

And I love your outfit too :)

3. nataliebrooke says: October 22, 201011:11 pm

I love your outfit and purse as always!! What a story! I'm happy it ended well, it's absurd that people barely stopped… I would have done the same too (chased after her) Hope you have a great weekend!!

ps: how did you come up with her name, by the way? (:

4. Rebecca from See You in Sweden says: October 22, 201011:30 pm

How scary!! Glad everyone is OK :)

5. Rio says: October 22, 201011:43 pm

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness she's okay! We just had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago with my dogs, and it was the scariest moment! I was also shocked that most people didn't even slow down as they saw my dogs in the middle of the street! So frightening!

6. ♥Lola says: October 22, 201011:56 pm

I was shaking just reading that! I couldn't even imagine how stressful that would be. We had the same trouble with our silky terrier whenever we're both together. She gets particularly fretful if my boyfriend is not with us.

I'm not sure if this would work, but what my bf has done is taught her that when he goes anywhere, she'll get a belly tickle followed by him saying "I
    ll be back soon". The tickle coupled with him saying that seem to calm her down. It took her a little while to understand but now she's completely fine. Perhaps you could try something like that?

We do it anytime one or both of us will be leaving her, even if it's only for a minute :)

So so happy that Miku is ok x

7. Lauren says: October 23, 201012:16 am

So glad that you and your puppy are ok!! I love your outfit, but to be honest, I'm just glad that your story had a happy ending!!

Small Time Style

8. Kate says: October 23, 201012:39 am

I lovelovelove those shoes! So pretty. & glad your pup is okay!

9. Kyla says: October 23, 201012:52 am

Iggy did that once and it was HORRIFYING!!! Whenever we take him anywhere outside of our front yard, we use a harness. It's so much more comfortable for him, too.

10. upatreecupatea says: October 23, 20102:37 am

my dog zorie did that once! i almost passed out and had to chase after him! he was so scared by the cars that he kept running and hid in the bushes.

so glad miku (and you!) are okay! :)

11. Kelly says: October 23, 20102:39 am

I got upset for you just reading that post! How terrifying that must have been for you!

12. anneorshine says: October 23, 20102:42 am

awww… wonderful photos and super cute outfit like always!!!

13. hueys says: October 23, 20103:01 am

Miku looks really adorable!

Thank goodness both of you are alright! it must be such a traumatising incident

I hope both you and miku are feeling better!

I would have gone mad if anything happened to my pets!

14. The Fancy Teacup says: October 23, 20103:16 am

I'm so glad Miku is okay and that you had such a nice stranger to help you. That would be harrowing for me to for my pet.

On a lighter note, those wedges are so perfectly paired with the dainty dress. I hope your eye heals soon! You still look gorgeous as usual! :)

15. Eva says: October 23, 20104:10 am

That's amazing. She really is an incredibly adorable dog.

16. Charmalade says: October 23, 20104:14 am

That is terrifying! Oh, poor Miku! Poor Keiko! Ahhhh ok that was very scary, I'm so glad that she turned out fine and no one got hit or seriously hurt. :( I know I'd be terrified if the same thing happened to me and my dog. I really hope you find that girl so you can properly thank her, too! Best of luck with that, Keiko. :)

Toast with Charmalade

17. Iris says: October 23, 20104:17 am

I'm glad you're both ok! I'll never forget when my cat climed out a ripped screen (which I didn't know about) onto a window ledge. He stretched out and just lay there, I was flipping out trying to get him back inside without freaking him out… hopefully never again!

18. irina says: October 23, 20104:27 am

you look gorgeous as always!

19. Rchliey says: October 23, 20104:33 am

nice bag and lovely dogg

20. Dylana Suarez says: October 23, 20105:20 am

You look so gorgeous! Love the romper!

21. Kate Maggie says: October 23, 20106:42 am

Gosh, im so glad that your baby is okay. I would of been freaking out too! Bless the girl who helped you out, thats so good, and im so glad that she was there. You seriously are so enchanting, Keiko, and I have been meaning to tell you that for a while. Its like a breath of fresh air coming to your blog! Have a lovely weekend. x

22. Collette Osuna says: October 23, 20107:29 am

I saw your post on Twitter….so Happy shes ok…how scary that must have been:(

Enter my Tulle Giveaway♥

23. Rita O. says: October 23, 20108:25 am

I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrifying experience! I would have done the same thing if one of my cat's ran out of the house. I have no idea what humans are thinking when they are driving. Even if I see a cat in someone's driveway I slow down in case they should happen to dart out! I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood but people take advantage of that and tend to speed in these residential areas, it's horrible! I'm so glad you and Miku are okay.

24. Ginta says: October 23, 20108:49 am

As I was reading I relived everything with you! All the horror & gratefulness. I know I'd go hysterical & crazy! It's so good everything ended well!
    I'm a 100% dog person I don't have one myself but my parents do. I love their dogs! For me their dogs are like my extended family.

25. franca maisha says: October 23, 201011:51 am

nice outfit, I love your bag! I also have a dog and love it to death!! :)

26. creme powder ♥ says: October 23, 201012:11 pm

love your bag & shoes <333

27. Sabrina says: October 23, 20101:26 pm

the dog is as cute as your outfit! i wish to own a dog soon when i'm living on my own. (:

With Love,

28. Penny Dreadful says: October 23, 20101:50 pm

Oh gosh, how frightening. I'm so glad it turned out ok, but no wonder you are stressed out about it now. Miku is totally gorgeous btw.

29. ❤Cate❤ says: October 23, 20102:50 pm

Awww such a cutie, I'm glad you're both safe now xoxo

30. Vicki says: October 23, 20103:05 pm

oh my goodness im so gald u both are alright!! how terrifying!! we live in the country and the cars our country lane road dont slow down for anything, its such a shame our dogs always have to be on a leash.. just posted pics of my little pugs on my blog today! :) xo

31. D'Andra says: October 23, 20103:49 pm

So glad that you and Miku are okay. I can't believe no one stopped. I'm always stopping for squirrels. I've even stopped for a turtle. My cats are always scratching me when we play or when they get scared. I understand how you feel. You look great as always!

32. Pamela Araújo says: October 23, 20104:21 pm

Lovely dog!
    And funny pic that Bobby running with Miku!

33. Shannon Lambert says: October 23, 20104:26 pm

I think it's kind of wonderful how Miku just kind of shrugged it off once he got in the park. Like "Holy shit, that was scary oh hey look, other dogs and some trees…sweeet!" hahaha

I'm happy to hear both you and Miku are okay. Hopefully you can take a cue from Miku and let some good times distract you from what could've been a tragic incident.

34. Taya says: October 23, 20104:54 pm

cute dog *_*
    love your outfit))

35. archives says: October 23, 20105:02 pm

oh my gosh….that is so frightening! glad you all are ok! my entire world would be crushed if anything happened to my pooch!

36. Julia says: October 23, 20105:07 pm

That cardigan looks so super comfy! And I'm so glad that both you and Miku are okay, and the mystery girl helped! And the drivers were really inconsiderate, but that's really how some New York drivers are, unfortunately.

37. Kristen says: October 23, 20105:23 pm

That must have been terrifying! I love my cat like my child. A few months ago she got out onto the fire escape and ran up to the top, my husband had to corral her back down in the rain with tuna fish. I was a complete wreck for the rest of the day. I'm so glad your dog is ok.

38. rachelinaustin says: October 23, 20106:15 pm

Scary! My littlest dog is a big of a runner himself. We have to be so careful going in and out of the house!

39. Brandon Acton-Bond says: October 23, 20107:29 pm

I know exactly how you feel. My dog back home in London when she was a puppy thought that water was the same as ground and without knowing how to swim walked right into the river thames at high tide. Thankfully she was on a leash but god those loveable dogs can give you a good scare. Say hi to Bobby for me!

40. Fashion Cents says: October 23, 20107:44 pm

I'm sure this isn't news to you, but you have AMAZING style! I'll be following :)

41. Maggie ☮ says: October 23, 20108:18 pm

I came to congratulate you on 3rd place for the Chictopia's stylish sole contest and I'm greeted by this….this is VERY frightening! So happy this had a happy ending! :)

42. Courtney says: October 23, 20109:27 pm

OH MY GOODNESS. Thank god she's OK!

43. Manuella says: October 23, 201010:24 pm

ohh i`m in love ,you have such a lovely dog :)

44. April, Everyday Forgotten says: October 23, 201010:36 pm

Im so glad your dog is ok! Its seriously so traumatising seeing your pet run into the road! It happened to me just the other week when I was out for a walk and my cat ran out into the road and actually got hit by the car and nearly hit my boyfriend too! Thank god he was ok but I just kept seeing it over and over for like a week! So i know exactly how you feel!

I absolutely love that romper btw :)

45. Alice In Fashionland says: October 23, 201010:49 pm

Too cute for words! <3

46. Camila says: October 24, 201012:03 am

lovely :)

47. Ms K says: October 24, 201012:37 am

the dog is so adorable!

48. Belle says: October 24, 20101:06 am

I have had that problem w/ my dog. My solution was to run the leash w/ the halter (probably like your gentle lead) through the metal loop on her collar. That way if my dog slips out of the lead-harness she won't get far because it won't pull through the small metal ring.

49. KristiMcMurry says: October 24, 20101:26 am

That's terrifying! I'm glad you're both ok. Miku is absolutely precious.

50. MizzTissa Shoe Blog says: October 24, 20101:38 am

If you ever need a dog sitter… :)

MizzTissa shoes

51. LuLu says: October 24, 20102:04 am
  52. Erica says: October 24, 20102:54 am

I'm sorry that you had a scare.

But I'm even more sorry that some people on your blog seem more concerned with telling you that your pictures and outfits are cute and posting links to their own blogs.

That sucks. I know people on the internet don't have to care, but it's sad that they can't read, either.

53. Becca Jane says: October 24, 20105:21 am

What a stressful situation! I'm so glad that both of you survived okay! Goodness.

54. daer0n says: October 24, 20101:57 pm

What a gorgeous outfit, you look beautiful :)

That dress is soo pretty!

55. Chloe says: October 24, 20103:57 pm

Omigosh! You dog-hero! That is so scary, I'm so glad you're BOTH ok! :)

chloe **flowerponychloe.blogspot.com
    SHOPlovepony.blogspot.com is BACK up!

56. J says: October 24, 20106:36 pm

OMGGG that must have been terrifying!! I'm glad she is okay!!

I love your wedge booties btw!

57. chibi says: October 24, 20108:02 pm

I'm glad Miku is safe.
    I tried to use a gentle leader, but it just did not work out for my dog.
    I tried a harness too, but he was able to back himself out of it and get free. My sister has a harness that also can be used in conjunction with the seat belt in a car. That harness is very secure and nicer than the ones found in pet stores.
    Make sure that Miku doesn't get chaffed from the harness. Check in the sensitive areas like the arm pits where there is less fur.

Drivers are not sensitive to people with dogs. Cars turn in front of me and my dog when we cross at the light. And it is my right of way.

Miku is lucky to have such a caring owner as yourself.

58. MOONBEAM says: October 24, 201010:00 pm

Love your outfits, really good ones, and your blog. I've a blog too, I'd appreciate if u could have a look at it. Thanks! disguiseandillusion.blogspot.com

59. Nnenna says: October 24, 201010:12 pm

I'm so happy that nothing happened to your dog :)

60. Elizabeth says: October 24, 201011:26 pm

That is heart stopping terrifying. I'm so glad to know that both you and Miku are safe.

61. lacee swan says: October 25, 20102:25 am

these are such cute photos with your dog! glad you two are okay!!

62. ashley says: October 25, 20104:46 am

First, I LOVE your bag. I am on the hunt for a new bag and your's is great!

Second, love your outfit. It so chic but relaxed at the same time.

And finally, I am so sorry about the dog scare!!!! She is adorable!

yours truly,

63. Sabrina says: October 25, 20107:07 am

hey! i came back to reread the whole post,
    because my previous comment was on your outfit and the cute dog because i only seen the picture.
    now, that i had read the post, i'm terribly sorry for my insensitive comment.
    and i hope you have recovered from your scare! (:

With Love,

64. Carol says: October 25, 201011:38 am

Such a lovely story, in the end but I can totally imagine how scared you were. I have always had pets and I know this happened to my mum once and she was absolutely terrified:(

Carol x

65. Veronica says: October 25, 20106:12 pm

!! Great to hear Miku's ok! I have a little dachshund girlie and use a soft harness on her too. Once when I was away from home, my mother took her for a walk and she slipped out just like Miku about 3 blocks away from my house (she hates walks progressively more as you take her further away from home) and ran back the whole way, with my mother chasing her down. Little dog sneak outs are no little thing!

66. libys11 says: October 26, 20102:40 am

omg!!!! i love your bag!!! aaahhh!!! hope your eye heals soon! 😀

Animated Confessions

67. Pixie in Pumps says: October 27, 201010:23 pm

Oh Keiko! I'm so glad she is ok and you are ok. That's so incredibly scary. What a wonderful person that girl was for helping.

68. Chenise says: November 25, 20109:49 am

Miku is really cute!! What breed is Miku?