I did my best to beat the clock, but I lost. Hey, it’s still Monday on the West Coast (as Michael kindly pointed out).
For my third Makeup Monday, I decided to do a look that was both summery and something I’ve been meaning to document. Remember the look from Rebecca Minkoff’s preview? Well, I’m going to show you my own version.

I love the way lip stains make you look like you just ate a popsicle, or indulged in a bowl of juicy cherries. I have absolutely no pigment in my lips, so the benefit of a stain is even greater. Even if other layers wear off, at least I am left with a little bit of pigment.

This is a picture heavy post, so please continue reading after the jump!

Here’s what I’ll be using:
1) Smith’s Rosebud Salve – to condition the lips
2) MAC Fix+ – to wet the eyeshadow brush and make it into a liner (I also sprayed it all over my face before I applied makeup – not pictured)
3) Tarte cheek stain in Berrylicious – to give a natural, dewy glow
4) Benetint by Benefit – to stain the lips
5) Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey (looks really dark, but is quite sheer – layer over the lip stain for more uniform color
6) MAC paint pot in Bare Study – to prime the lids
7) MAC eyeshadow in Say, Yeah (discontinued) – for a wash of color on the lids
8) MAC eyeshadow in Mulch – for use as liner
9) Prescriptives mascara in dark brown
10) MAC 224 brush (blending brush) – to apply eyeshadow in a sheer wash
11) Sonia Kashuk angled brush – to line the top lash line
All of these products can be found at MAC, Sephora, Target, and department store makeup counters, respectively.

(Note:I went out to Manhattan for a meeting earlier, so I already had my concealer and eyebrows on (no powder – you shouldn’t use it for this look). I just wiped off my mascara and lip stuff, so I could get this done faster.)

Before I start the tutorial, I want to emphasize the importance of exfoliating your skin and lips before attempting this look. This is all about being fresh faced and glowing. The cheek and lip stains, especially, will show any dry skin and look blotchy. I exfoliate my skin with extremely fine sea salt and honey, or baking soda (it depends on my mood). I exfoliate my lips with a little bit of vaseline and a soft, dry toothbrush. Please keep in mind that I’m not an esthetician or dermatologist, so you might want to consult a professional before taking my exfoliating advice! Also, prep your skin with a primer (I used smashbox photo finish & sprayed my face with Fix+ for a dewy look), so the cheek stain glides on smoothly. Now, onto the tutorial:

I’ll be editing this post with more product info (including alternatives you can use) and such, but I wanted to get this up before I could not longer call it Makeup Monday.

I must admit that makeup is one area where I often shell out the extra money. I’m also very fortunate to have a great friend, who is a makeup artist and very generous – and I am a smart shopper. I will do a special Makeup Monday post with details on that:) In the meantime, here are some product alternative suggestions for what I used:

• Smith’s Rosebud Salve alternative: Vaseline. I also use Lanolips and Julie Hewett’s Camellia Balm
  • MAC Fix+ alternative – for the face, you can skip it, but I still suggest some sort of primer. Make sure your face is evenly moisturized. For making the shadow a liner, you can use water (a lot of people use Visine, but it makes my skin burn)
  • 3) Tarte cheek stain alternative – use any lipstick (preferably NOT shimmery) and blend it with your fingers, or try Mark Just Pinched Instant Blush Tint (I haven’t tried this, but it looks similar)
  • 4) Benetint by Benefit alternative – Covergirl Outlast Lipstain (I haven’t tried this, either)
  • 5) Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey alternative – not sure, but I would say this is one product worth picking up. Wait for Clinique’s Gift With Purchase deal and you can get a whole lot of makeup for very little money!
  • 6) MAC paint pot in Bare Study alternatives – you just need a primer, so try e.l.f.’s eye primer
  • 7) MAC eyeshadow in Say, Yeah (discontinued) alternative – You can use any shimmery, light eyeshadow you like. MAC’s melon pigment is kind of close to this discontinued eyeshadow. Sample sizes go a very long way, so you can also buy a sample from a makeup community or ebay.
  • 8) MAC eyeshadow in Mulch alternative – any brown shadow will do
  • 9) Prescriptives mascara alternative – any brown mascara will do
  • 10) both brushes – try e.l.f.’s brushes – they’re $1!

If you have any makeup alternative suggestions, please leave them in the comments!
Love love,

1. Leah (The Domesticated Wife) says: July 20, 20104:33 am

You look gorgeous! I'm so glad you explained how to use tints on your cheeks… I'm always so scared. :(

2. ♥Lola says: July 20, 20104:40 am

Absolutely stunning! This is the best excuse for me to finally run out and buy benetint :)

3. Estefany says: July 20, 20104:41 am

You're so pretty!
    I love this so much! I usually stick to natural looks, so this is perfect! I have a question though, where did you buy the lip stain?

4. laura says: July 20, 20104:43 am

I loved your lips in the picture and clicked on your post…but after seeing that the two products you used would cost about $40+… :(

in other words, is there anything cheaper you could recommend to recreate the lip look? (i'm in college=no money) :)

5. Keiko Lynn says: July 20, 20104:45 am

Leah: Thank you! It's a little messy (I keep makeup wipes around for my hands) but they are great. I especially like them for summery, fresh looks.

Lola: Thank you! A lot of people are able to use Benetint on its own, but my lips don't have enough of their own pigment for it to suffice. I do love it, though (it can also be used on your cheeks).

Estefany: Thanks so much! You can get Benetint and the Rosebud Salve at Sephora, Clinique Black Honey at any Clinique counter (they also have it at some Sephoras)

6. Keiko Lynn says: July 20, 20104:45 am

Laura: Don't worry, I'm putting together a list right now! I'll edit the post in a bit, so please check back!

7. Anonymous says: July 20, 20104:47 am

OMG I LOVED THIS. MORE MAKEUP MONDAYS!!!!<3333 and youre so beautiful even without m/u!!!!!

8. Lids says: July 20, 20104:52 am

Yay, for make up mondays!! I love this look so fresh, polished and absolutely beautiful! How do you like using Benetint? I have it and LOVE the color of it but I feel like it fades so fast and I hate retouching my make up. How does it compare to Julie Hewett's cheekie cheek? I know you mentioned it's very long lasting and I've been meaning to try it, I just can't decide on what color to get. I'm so indecisive! :/

9. kimvee says: July 20, 20104:52 am

I love tarte cheek stain! You make up looks fantastic!

10. libys11 says: July 20, 20105:01 am

just so natural!!! i love this!!! benetint rules! 😀

Animated Confessions

11. What Ner is saying... says: July 20, 20105:12 am

I am loving Make-up Mondays! Keep 'em coming! You look stunning as usual!

12. Keiko Lynn says: July 20, 20105:25 am

anonymous: Thank you! I'm glad you like it:)

Lids: I have a love/hate relationship with benetint. It looks SO much better on girls who already have a bit of pigment to their lips. I always have to layer mine, or else it looks kind of uneven. I probably wouldn't buy it again. Since a little goes a long way, I think this one will take a long time to be used up, anyway.
    About the cheekie cheek and lip shines: they're totally different. It has the consistency of a lipstick, I'd say. I use it on my cheeks sometimes, but I usually just use it on my lips. It stays really well, but I always reapply after eating, and touch it up throughout the day. It has great pigmentation.

kimvee, libys11 and what ner is saying: thanks so much!

13. says: July 20, 20105:28 am

I love this look, it's so natural but pretty. I want to start getting more into makeup but really don't know where to start – I think I'm going to have to pick up a primer for one haha. Looking lovely (and your new header is very cute!) :)

14. Polina says: July 20, 20105:29 am

You loook wonderful! I wish I had your perfect skin! (not just due to makeup though – haha~)
    May I ask – what photoshop program do you use and how do you get your photos to be so brightly, naturally lit ?

15. mariska says: July 20, 20105:42 am

love this!
    u r pretty!

16. Keiko Lynn says: July 20, 20105:42 am

♥ : Thank you! Multi-purpose products are a great place to start. More bang for your buck! I swear by Julie Hewett's cheekie cheek and lip shine. Also, pick up e.l.f. products (you can get them at target or online) for experimenting. They're usually $1 a product, so it's great for practicing!

Polina: I use photosop cs4, but I didn't do a lot with these photos (time constraints). I just used an SB-600 with my Nikon d-50 and bounced it off the ceiling. I also held a reflector underneath my face, which was awkward, since I was also doing my makeup and using a remote at the same time!

17. burnt sienna says: July 20, 20106:04 am

This is a fantastic makeup tutorial, one I'll definitely try out since I own many of these products, or similar products. Thanks!

18. Iana says: July 20, 20106:06 am

i love your make up monday! but im wondering if what e.l.f. products would you recommend? thanks in advamce !:)

19. Manja says: July 20, 20106:20 am

Yes, I love love love Makeup Mondays – it's official ♥
    I am a little MAC junkie myself (I would own a lot more if my wallot would allow it). You are so lucky, isn't there a Cosmetics Company Outlet close to NY? I wish I had those over here.
    Anyway, keep the posts coming, I love how you do your makeup and you are so pretty!

20. BreakingOutOfTheShell<3 says: July 20, 20106:23 am

Hello Keiko Lynn

this is the first time i ever comment on your blog.

I've been a follower since January and I absoultly adore your blog.

you are very beautiful and i love make up Mondays<3

21. Evelina says: July 20, 20107:02 am

Makeup monday! ♥♥♥ Love the natural rosy look!

22. Sunshine Sarah says: July 20, 20107:05 am

This is kind of what I wear on my daily basis.

Lots of love,
    Aleka Sarah.

23. Thrive on Novelty says: July 20, 20107:45 am

I love this! thank you thank you thank you :) xx

24. Ms K says: July 20, 20109:06 am

so pretty! thanks for the awesome makeup tutorial=)

25. Alice says: July 20, 201010:16 am

I like it ^^

26. roxy says: July 20, 201011:40 am

Great tutorial!! I especially love the lip colour – gotta try out that combo sometime.

thanks for doing this.

27. Chantel says: July 20, 201012:32 pm

After your last make-up monday i went and bought myself some smashbox photofinish primer! It works magic! I also picked up the smashbox eyelid primer, it amazing stops my eyeliner from sitting in the crease! Thanks for the tips! I love make-up!

28. kim says: July 20, 201012:35 pm

i use Rosebud Salve on EVERYTHING. its works so well on dry patches of skin, lips, cuticles, etc. the Tarte blushes are fab too. i use Benetint lip balm w/ SPF, but i find it doesn't last very long colorwise. i think i'll have to try laying it over a stain.

thanks for the tips. Makeup Monday was a fantastic idea, Keiko!

29. Cara says: July 20, 201012:54 pm

I love the natural look of this! I have darker skin than you so I'm sure it would work on my but it looks great!

On your next make-up monday I would love it if you included what facial cleanser, moisturizer, etc you use. I love salt and honey scrub as well!

30. Copious Couture says: July 20, 20102:05 pm

Come check out my blog…. all this week I am putting up pictures of my first collection!

31. Mallory Phillipy says: July 20, 20102:17 pm

i LOVE that you're doing makeup mondays! your makeup is always flawless, thanks for sharing your secrets :]

32. ❤Cate❤ says: July 20, 20103:03 pm

Beautiful, look great for summer :)

33. daisymay aka Chantele says: July 20, 20103:39 pm

Wow you look great and this is such a great tutorial. Daisy Dayz Home

34. laura says: July 20, 20103:56 pm

oh! thank you so much!!!

you see,

my 2-year anniversary w/my bf is tomorrow and i wanted to be able to wear lip color without it all rubbing off with eating and then looking hideous etc..

35. Helena from BrooklynBlonde says: July 20, 20104:22 pm

So beautiful!!! Love the outfit and the makeup! Just saw your blog and PS: I'm from Brooklyn as well! :)

36. browniesprinkles says: July 20, 20104:23 pm

Thanks for sharing Keiko, I spent the past hr revisiting your old posts–love it.

37. Mae Lu says: July 20, 20105:13 pm

Laura Mercier does a creamy pot of "stain" which is thicker than a stain but lasts as long. I use it on my cheeks for a sheer flush as well.

And I find Benefit's Stay, Don't Stray is a great concealer and shadow primer.

I love these tutorials.

Have you thought about doing a video one?

Mae Lu, thereafterish.

38. Stephanie says: July 20, 20105:29 pm

I love your blog so much! ^_^ I randomly discovered it last week and I've read ALL of your posts..lol I'm hooked!

keep up the great work!

39. everydayluxuries says: July 20, 20105:41 pm

What a gorgeous, summery look! Revlon has also released a lip stain with a balm on one end, and I love it! I also think that the e.l.f. eye primer does a great job. It definitely keeps my eyeshadow in place. Their brushes are pretty great, as well (of course, I'm a girl with very little high-end makeup experience – maybe I don't know what I'm missing!)

40. Annie Cristina says: July 20, 20106:00 pm

I'm loving these Makeup Monday posts! :) I fell in love with Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey in high school and it's been a never-ending love affair ever since.

41. Jessica says: July 20, 20107:39 pm

Keiko, I would love to hear more about the baking soda exfolient. I also have very sensitive skin, and find that apricot scrubs often make my skin more flaky. Do you mix it into a paste, let it sit, or rinse right away?

42. nicoletta says: July 20, 20108:33 pm

you're so beautiful

43. www.majormusthaves.com says: July 20, 20108:39 pm

I love your lips. The shape is perfect!

44. .Alyspank says: July 20, 201010:03 pm

Absolutely stunning!!!! As much as I love reading all your outfit posts, I think the makeup ones are my absolute favorite!

-Weezy from http://beautysimplistic.blogspot.com

45. Leah says: July 20, 201010:51 pm

LOVE this post! and i'm usually not a commenter, but it seems you put a lot of hard work into this one. i love your makeup posts and when you announced makeup monday i almost squealed with delight. you always look amazing, thanks for sharing some of your tips with us humble readers.

46. Dip-tea says: July 21, 201012:01 am

I am not a make-up person. I always go for the natural barely there look, which means very less make up in general. But I absolutely love the eye make up, I am going to do that everyday. :)

47. chelsea provencio says: July 21, 201012:27 am

i absolutely love this look. so gorgeous!! i can't wait to try it out.

48. Alexandra G. says: July 21, 201012:58 am

I go through at least 4 rosebud lip salves per year…they're basically good for everything! You look gorgeous as always :)

49. missing-lovebirds says: July 21, 20105:55 am

you probably have heard this millions of times, but your lips are basically amazingly perfect. i'm jealous. :)

missing-lovebirds.blogspot.com ♥

50. Grazia C. says: July 21, 201011:19 pm

beautiful pictures, beautiful you!*_*

51. Anya says: July 22, 20106:28 am

your cosmetics is so great!
    you look is very naturally)

52. simplychic says: July 22, 20102:14 pm

this is a gorgeous and natural look.

i love rosebud salve. i even use it on my hands when i don't have lotion :)

53. phoebeleebs says: July 22, 20103:44 pm

i love how you keep your makeup simple yet very pretty!

i also LOVE your hair! how do you get your bangs to stay up like that? mine always fall straight and never sideways like yours. any tips? thanks!!

54. nyc lu says: July 23, 20102:15 am

gorgeous! this is a great work -everyday look that i've been trying to perfect. i think i need your flawless skin to do it, but ill try anyhow! haha

55. Elle says: July 23, 20103:54 pm

I just gave this a try — on workdays I don't have a lot of time, but today was my day off. It came out pretty well! I don't have Tarte cheek stain, so I used a Lorac lipstick in "Crush". Looks really nice. I don't know why I never thought of trying that before. (thanks!!)

56. iva says: July 25, 20107:01 pm

wow !!! wonderful pics|

57. joelle van dyne says: August 12, 20105:28 pm

i have been creepstering all through your blog and reading all the makeup posts- i love it because this is an area where i really need help, and my end goal is always to have a keiko-quality makeup look.

i just wanted to add a brush alternative suggestion- the drugstore brand 'essence of beauty' makes awesome brushes. i find them at CVS and i know other drugstores carry it too. they frequently go on 50% off, or buy-one-get-one sales, so i wait for those even though they're pretty cheap to begin with.

the reason i bought them in the first place was that an SA at mac told me to get them instead of buying a mac brush!

and as a benetint alternative (even though benetint is my fav makeup thing ever), revlon 'just bitten' lip stains are really similar. they were discontinued but are about $3 on amazon. ~joelle

58. 每当遇见你 says: September 28, 20106:53 am

Here’s a list of tools you will need to start: Jewelers’ pandora jewellery wire cutters – If you can only afford one pair, get memory wire shears. pandora charms These are designed to make clean cuts on tough memory wire, so can also be used for pandora charms uk softer wires. Chain-nose pliers sometimes called cheap pandora charms needle-nose pliers – Very versatile for picking up and grasping small items, pandora charms sale bending eye pins, closing jumps rings, even closing crimp beads. discount pandora charms Round-nose pliers – Used for creating loops on beaded head and eye pins. Can also be used for winding your own jump rings and as the second pliers you’cheap pandora ll need for closing jump rings. Optional pliers – Wire-looping pliers which have several graduated circumferences to allow you to form perfectly uniform jump rings and loops in place of the pandora discount uk round-nose pliers mentioned above. Crimping pliers which have little notches to allow you to both flatten a crimp bead and then bend it to form a rounded finished look instead of the flat crimp you pandora uk get using the chain-nose pliers. As for materials, I recommend some assortment packs of beads in coordinating colors, some decorative metal spacers, seed beads in both silver and gold These can serve as spacers and beautifully set off pandora sale your other beads., tube-shaped crimp beads Buy the best you can find – these are what hold it all together!, head and eye pins. Other than that, let your choice of project be your guide. You might want some silver or pewter charms.